Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Insert Fair

I confess it, I'm a huge fan of the Swaddlebees Econappi pocket diapers. It may be that they fit Tiny Guy well, or it may be the cotton velour.

For the past several weeks, I was only putting them on Tiny Guy at night, with an extra microfiber insert and the small cotton/bamboo on the front. This is because I only had 2 and the biggest problem with them is the drying time (due to the natural fiber), so while one is still drying, I use the other.

Anyway, this situation changed when their Christmas sale came in and I bought 4 more for less than half the price, that sounds all well and good, but they were sold without the inserts. And, yes, I do like the cotton/bamboo ones, but I have more prefolds than I need and also microfiber inserts, so I figured I would have plenty stuff to play with.

First thing was clear. I need to wash them more. For some reason, the diapers are leaking a little. I don't know exactly what the problem is but their older counterparts are performing better for night purposes, so I'm sticking with those to.

But for the day, I started playing around. First I used a trifolded prefold as an insert. It did the job, but surprisingly, it seemed to last less than what I'm used to in a prefold, it may have just been a very wet time of the day. The problem with that is the bulkiness. I can't use anything else due to all the fluff.

Next thing I used was a minky microfiber Fuzzibunz insert. Great combo! seemed to last even longer than with the pockets they were meant to. Plus it is very trim and I can actually close the snaps all the way down in the waist.

All of a sudden, I remembered that the microfiber doublers were actually Swaddlebees as well, or maybe Blueberry, but it was what they used to use in their pocket diapers, having the same shape. So, the next test was with only one of those only. I couldn't close the diaper all the way, but it did the job nicely, plus I had to fold it because it is designed for the big size, but I do that every night anyway.

I still want to try the Flip inserts and whatever else I can find, but so far, I don't think I'll need to buy an extra set of bamboo/cotton ultra expensive ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment